Monday, June 13, 2011

Diary entries on the first day...

As part of our dramaturgical research, actors are creating diaries from the point of view of the characters they will be playing.  Today's entries take place before the ball is announced...just another day in the life!

Dear Diary,
Today was the same thing.  All I did was work, work, and more work, but I enjoy hearing the gossip of the gown.  But everyone's buzz is always about the prince!  I wonder why  I can only hear snippets of gossip at a time because I am always getting pushed around by my stepmother and step sister.  They are so selfish!  I'm ravenous & I don't get much to eat.  I wonder what it would be like to live in a palace.  Knowing a day of grandeur ahead and the sun shining on my face in an entirely different way...not with worry and pain and frustration at the day ahead.  Everyone thinks I am just a mess and of no use...I'd like to slap them, thank you very much!  But I know I can hope.  Now I am finally going to sleep after a long day of work.  Please, I wish to wake up in a different way.  Now I suppose I must go for real...goodbye, I guess.
Sincerely,
Cinderella
(Cinderella is played by Quillan T in our production.  This was the diary entry she wrote today)

Well!  My my my...where should I start?  OK, well, I started out visiting Briar Rose (or Sleeping Beauty).  Oh, my, she is so much bigger than when I last saw her on her 16th birthday!  Did you know that she will be married to the prince in just 2 months?!?
After that I went swimming with Arial and her new husband.  They do make a fine couple.  Then I after washing sand out of my ears I went to lunch a fish, peas, and freshly baked bread with my friend who is a genie.  He brought his friend Aladdin with him.  (I ate quite a bit, for I had skipped breakfast) 
(The Fairy Godmother is played by Gaby B in our production.  The above is her imagined diary entry, assuming she is the only Fairy Godmother for all of the princesses in the land of Fairy Tales)

No comments: